ex gulls

@ExGulls looks at what former Gulls have been up to over the month of October!

In this month’s edition of Ex-Gulls, we look at the flurry of goals scored in the Papa John’s Trophy as well as some of the F.A. Cup action involving Ex-Gulls. We also mention a few red cards shown as well as the all the goals that have been scored.

Kieffer Moore – Wales & Cardiff City

Kieffer Moore once again kicks off this edition of Ex-Gulls with his goal for Wales against Estonia in their World Cup Qualifying group game. It was a crucial goal as they won in Tallinn 1-0 with a goal after 12 minutes. Saturday evening, they host Belarus in Cardiff as they aim to qualify for their first World Cup Finals since Sweden 1958.

Domestically, Cardiff City have struggled this season, which has seen Mick McCarthy lose his job in the Welsh capital. Towards the end of this month though, Moore has found his scoring boots, finishing the comeback against Stoke City as the Bluebirds came from 3-0 down at half time, to being level after 71 minutes as they drew 3-3 in the Potteries. Moore also scored a brace as Cardiff came from behind to beat Huddersfield Town 2-1 to record their first win in nearly two months.

Jayden Stockley – Charlton Athletic

October has been Jayden Stockley’s month, scoring a grand total of 8 goals in all competitions. He started the month with the winner against Fleetwood Town before scoring a brace against Southampton U21’s in a 4-1 win to finish second in their Papa John’s Trophy group. 

After drawing a blank in defeat against Lincoln City, he scored in a home defeat against Accrington Stanley before scoring in win against Sunderland A.F.C. and Doncaster Rovers in the following 2 games. He then also scored a brace in the F.A. Cup as Charlton beat Havant & Waterlooville 4-0 at The Valley, they’ll face either Gateshead F.C. or Altrincham F.C. in the Second Round.

Alex Bass & John Marquis – Portsmouth F.C.

On the south coast, it hasn’t been plain sailing for Portsmouth F.C. as they currently linger in the middle of the table. John Marquis scored the winner against Bolton Wanderers as they won 1-0 to start a run of 3 wins in 5 games in all competitions. The latest win was in their Papa John’s Trophy group match against Crystal Palace U21’s, winning 3-0. Alex Bass kept a clean sheet despite Rob Street putting the ball in the net, the assistant referee raised their flag to keep the Palace striker quiet.

Ryan Bowman – Shrewsbury Town

During his final year at Exeter City, Bowman managed to score his first professional hat-trick, only to repeat the same feat nearly a month later. Only a few months into his Shrewsbury Town career and he repeated the trick in a 4-1 win against 10-man Cambridge United. He also started a potential banana skin F.A. Cup tie against Southern League Central Division side Stratford Town. The hosts took the lead after only 5 minutes but by the time the hour mark appeared, Shrewsbury were 4-1 up with Bowman scoring a brace either side of half time. Steve Cotterill’s side won 5-1 and will travel to Carlisle United in the Second Round.

Aiden O’Brien – Sunderland A.F.C

The last month has seen a real change in fortune for Sunderland A.F.C., after 7 wins in 8 games, they’ve lost their last 4 with two heavy defeats against Rotherham United and Sheffield Wednesday in the league before being knocked out of the F.A. Cup by Mansfield Town. During that run of 7 wins in 8 games, midfielder Aiden O’Brien scored the equaliser against Gillingham as they won 2-1 despite playing the final 23 minutes with 10 men.

Adebayo Akinfenwa – Wycombe Wanderers

Despite only scoring 1 goal last season, Adebayo Akinfenwa has managed to score twice in October. The 39-year-old is in his ‘Last Dance’ season and is still well favoured by Gareth Ainsworth, starting against Doncaster Rovers when colleague Sam Vokes was unavailable due to the birth of his daughter. He took the opportunity by doubling the Chairboys lead against Doncaster Rovers as they won 2-0. He also scored Wycombe’s second as they took the lead at Fleetwood Town, but they failed to take all 3 points, drawing the game 3-3.

Shawn McCoulsky – Colchester United

Winger Shawn McCoulsky has struggled in the last year or so with injury and was released by Forest Green Rovers in the summer. He recently signed a deal with Colchester United and scored on his debut. Colchester were hosting Isthmian League Division One North side A.F.C. Sudbury in the first round of the F.A. Cup and in front of the camera’s, McCoulsky rounded off the scoring as they won 4-0. The Essex side will host either Wigan Athletic or Solihull Moors in the Second Round.

Lloyd Kerry – Harrogate Town

Midfielder Lloyd Kerry helped Harrogate Town qualify for the knockout stages of the Papa John’s Trophy by scoring the opener against Newcastle United U21’s. Harrogate ran out 2-0 winners as they’ve finished second in their group.

Alex Fisher – Newport County

Elsewhere in the Papa John’s Trophy, Newport County were eliminated from their group. Alex Fisher scored the third to put the Exiles 3-2 up against Arsenal U21’s but 2 goals in the final 5 minutes of the game earned the young Gunners all 3 points.

Lucas Covolan – Port Vale

Covolan kept his sixth clean sheet of the season as Port Vale beat Colchester United 3-0. The keeper also saved Oliver Hawkins penalty to equalise against Mansfield Town, the game finished 1-1. Port Vale currently sit second in the table behind Forest Green Rovers.

Jamie Reid – Stevenage F.C.

Jamie Reid continues our trend of players scoring in the Papa John’s Trophy, equaliser with 15 minutes to go before strike partner Luke Norris scoring the winner in the final minute. That followed his goal against Hartlepool United the weekend before.

Connor Wilkinson – Walsall F.C.

Wilkinson scored in the fifth minute of added time to earn the points for Walsall F.C. at home against Salford City. The striker came on with only 6 minutes to go, replacing Brendan Kiernan before scoring the winner as it finished 2-1 at the Bescot Stadium.

Ben Pringle – Altrincham – Altrincham F.C

The midfielder received his first red card in nearly 2 years in Altrincham F.C.’s 3-2 defeat away against Woking F.C. Pringle was shown a second yellow card late in the day, just like his previous red card against A.F.C. Wimbledon for Gillingham F.C. it was in the dying embers of second half stoppage time.

Scott Boden, Tyrone Marsh and Josh Rees – Boreham Wood

The attacking trio of North London hit again in October as Boreham Wood rose to the top of the National League table. Scott Boden managed to score four goals on three occasions, with a penalty against Torquay, the winner away at King’s Lynn Town and a brace against Eastleigh F.C. in the F.A. Cup. 

Tyrone Marsh scored the only goal, seven minutes from time against 10-man Southend United to go top of the table with Josh Rees’ goal coming against Dagenham & Redbridge as they won 2-0 at Meadow Park.

Fraser Kerr – Chesterfield F.C

Sitting second in the table is Chesterfield F.C. who have only lost one game in the league this season. Since that defeat against Woking F.C., they collected points against teams like Boreham Wood as well as Wrexham A.F.C. The draw at the Racecourse Ground was aided by Fraser Kerr’s first of the season after 5 minutes, they managed to hold onto the lead until the 84th minute when Paul Mullin equalised.

Paul McCallum – Dagenham & Redbridge

In the F.A. Cup first round tie against Wealdstone F.C., Paul McCallum was shown a straight red card after 2 minutes. Dagenham & Redbridge pulled through and scored twice in the final minutes of the game to win 2-1. McCallum was eventually suspended for 5 games and missed the First-Round Proper tie against Salford City which they lost 1-0 in front of the ITV 4 cameras. 

Danny Hollands – Eastleigh F.C

Dutchy has been ever reliable for Eastleigh F.C. boss Ben Strevens, coming straight back from injury to captain Eastleigh in a 1-1 draw against Boreham Wood. The midfielder scored his first competitive goal since February 2020 to equalise against Altrincham F.C. 9 minutes later Tom Whelan dispatched the winner as they won 2-1.

Billy Waters – F.C. Halifax Town

By Billy Waters’ standards this season, October has been a poor month scoring 3 goals. He scored a late equaliser as Halifax came from 2-0 down with 11 minutes to go to beat Notts County 3-2. What was even more remarkable about that come back, was the fact they did it with 10 men after Tom Bradbury was sent-off on the hour. Most recently in the F.A. Cup he scored a brace in the game of the round as F.C. Halifax Town beat Maidenhead United 7-4! They will make the trip to Kidderminster Harries in the Second Round to guarantee a non-league side in the Third Round. 

Kyle Cameron and Frank Vincent – Notts County

Down the M1, Waters teammate from last season Kyle Cameron gave Notts County the lead against Bromley F.C. minutes into the second half. Ian Burchnall’s side couldn’t hold on though as Michael Cheek equalised with 10 minutes to go. 

Midfielder Frank Vincent scored his first goals for Notts County after spending the early stages of the season side-lined due to injury. His first was the final goal in a 4-0 win against Tamworth F.C. in the F.A. Cup replay after the original tie finished 0-0. The same week he scored the eventual winner against Stockport County as they won 2-1.

Rhys Murphy – Southend United

Despite the struggles so far this season at Roots Hall, Rhys Murphy has kept going on the goals front. Despite falling behind after 6 minutes against Chertsey Town, Rhys Murphy was amongst the goals as Southend knocked Chertsey out of the F.A. Cup winning 4-1. Murphy also scored a brace as the Shrimpers beat Dover Athletic by the same score line in the National League.

Ben Whitfield – Stockport County

With new boss Dave Challinor taking over at Stockport County, Ben Whitfield was keen to impress and scored the equaliser against Bolton Wanderers to force their F.A. Cup tie to go to a replay after it finished 2-2. Prior to that F.A. Cup game, Whitfield scored a consolation penalty in defeat at Notts County before scoring Stockport’s fifth against Dover Athletic.

Matt Buse and Josh Umerah – Wealdstone F.C.

Umerah once again scored for Wealdstone, his equaliser against Eastleigh F.C. was unfortunately cancelled out by a late Ben House winner for the visitors. By contrast, teammate Matt Buse scored his first goal for the club as they beat high flying Grimsby Town 1-0. It was a well stricken shot from the edge of the area which earned Wealdstone F.C. all 3 points. 

Josh McQuoid – Weymouth F.C.

After 180 minutes of football, nothing could split Weymouth F.C. and Yeovil Town in their F.A. Fourth Qualifying Round tie. They managed to force penalties 3 minutes from time as Josh McQuoid equalised for the Terras. Unfortunately, McQuoid didn’t convert his spot kick as Yeovil Town progressed to the First Round Proper. 

Joe Quigley – Yeovil Town

Prior to Yeovil Town’s F.A. Cup run, Joe Quigley opened the scoring as they drew 1-1 at home against Altrincham F.C. After beating Yate Town in the F.A. Cup First Round Proper, the Glovers will host either Milton Keynes Dons or Stevenage F.C.

Lee Mansell, Daniel Leadbitter and Ben Gerring – Gloucester City

In the National League North, Lee Mansell hasn’t had an easy start with games against the likes of A.F.C. Fylde and Chester F.C. He’s managed to grab two points in 5 games with draws against Bradford Park Avenue and A.F.C. Telford United. In their 3-2 defeat to Chester F.C. they did lead 2-1 going into the final 10 minutes, helped by Daniel Leabitter scoring his first of the season to put Gloucester City ahead but 2 late goals for Chester earned the hosts the points. Mansell will hope to see better defensive resilience with the signing of Ben Gerring who recently left Bath City.

Ashley Hemmings – Kidderminster Harriers

The winger has earned himself the National League North Player of the Month award with his displays during October. Harriers only lost 1 game in 7 matches, even beating Grimsby Town in the F.A. Cup with Hemmings scoring the winning goal from the spot. He also found the back of the net in a 5-1 win against Bradford Park Avenue and a 1-1 draw away at Chorley F.C., shortly after teammate Geraldo Bajrami was sent-off. 

Alex Fletcher – Bath City

Bath City won their first league game in nearly 2 months as they beat Welling United 2-1. With 5 minutes to go, Alex Fletcher scored Bath’s second to double their lead before a late consolation goal was scored by the visitors.  

Bath City also announced the departure of defender Ben Gerring by Mutual Consent. Gerring only joined Bath in the summer after leaving Woking F.C. at the end of last season. 

Myles Anderson – Braintree Town

In transfer news, defender Myles Anderson left Hampton & Richmond Borough to join Braintree Town. He scored his first goal for the club against Chippenham Town with a last-minute equaliser to earn the side from Essex a point from Wiltshire. 

Adebayo Azeez – Dartford F.C.

It was an electric September for Adebayo Azeez and he managed to add 3 more to his tally this month. He scored the only goal against Hungerford Town as Dartford F.C. won 1-0 and scored a brace in a 3-3 draw at home to Chippenham Town.

Danny Mills – Dulwich Hamlet

Danny Mills scored a brace for Dulwich Hamlet as they beat Hampton & Richmond Borough. Mills scored within the opening 3 minutes to give Dulwich the lead before equalising to make it 2-2 in the 21st minute. The game ended 4-3 with Hampton going down to 10 men.

Sam Cox – Hampton & Richmond Borough

The player who was sent-off in that game was midfielder Sam Cox, receiving his marching orders 6 minutes from time. 

Joe Oastler and Scott Rendell – Havant & Waterlooville

We’ll be brief with this one. Both Joe Oastler and Scott Rendell scored for Havant & Waterlooville against Torquay United in their F.A. Cup Fourth Qualifying Round Replay. They faced Charlton Athletic in the First Round Proper and as previously mentioned, they were beaten 4-0 with Jayden Stockley scoring a brace. 

Aaron Barnes – Welling United

After a poor start to the season, the new management at Welling United has seen results as they’ve pushed themselves up the table. In that run, they’ve picked up a win against Billericay Town with Aaron Barnes scoring the winner as it finished 1-0.

James Hurst and Jamie Ward – Buxton F.C.

Buxton F.C. have had an excellent start to the season with the tightest defence in the Northern Premier League Premier Division and one of the best attacks despite having 2 games in hand due to their F.A. Cup exploits. 

James Hurst has been amongst the goals again scoring the opener in a 3-2 win away at Radcliffe Borough. His teammate Jamie Ward has been scoring left right and center. He scored the fourth in a 4-1 home win against Whitby Town, a brace away at Basford United and the opener once again against Atherton Collieries.

Dan Lavercombe – F.C. United of Manchester

Meanwhile in Manchester, Dan Lavercombe is giving Lucas Covolan a run for his money for the Ex-Gulls golden glove. He’s currently kept 5 clean sheets, adding 2 more in October in wins against Basford United and Runcorn Linnets, the latter was a 2-0 win in the F.A. Trophy.

Billy Kee – Coalville Town

Billy Kee added to his tally in Coalville’s 3-0 win against St. Ives Town. The striker scored the Magpies third of the game on the hour. 

Jake Hitchings – Leiston F.C

Defender Jake Hutchings scored his first goal of the season for Leiston F.C. Just like Billy Kee’s goal, it was against St. Ives Town as they won 3-1.

Chinua Cole – Chesham United

In the Southern League South Division, Chesham United have brought in left-back Chinua Cole. He’s started all games since joining the Generals.

Josh Carmichael – Poole Town

Poole Town have looked good for a play-off spot so far this season and midfielder Josh Carmichael has helped them to this feat by scoring twice with the final goal in a 3-0 win against Merthyr Town as well as a consolation goal as Poole were beaten 4-1 by Truro City. 

Josh Wakefield – Salisbury F.C

Last time out for Salisbury F.C., Josh Wakefield opened the scoring for Salisbury F.C. as they beat Walton Casuals 2-1. Salisbury just sit a place off the play-offs due to their goal difference. 

Ryan Dickson – Truro City

In Poole Town’s 4-1 defeat against Truro City, versatile left sided player Ryan Dickson scored his first goal of the season, scoring Truro’s fourth goal, 8 minutes from time.

Scott Laird – Weston-super-Mare A.F.C.

Scott Laird has once again been in amongst the goals for Weston-super-Mare A.F.C. He scored a brace in the F.A. Trophy as Weston knocked Taunton Town out of the competition. He also scored the third goal as they beat Poole Town 3-0 in the league.

Shamir Fenelon – Horsham F.C.

At the bottom of the Isthmian League Premier Division are Horsham F.C. who despite their poor league form, managed to reach the First Round Proper of the F.A. Cup losing to League 2 Carlisle United. Shamir Fenelon was named on the bench and came on as a second half substitute as they lost, 2-0. Fenelon did score in Horsham’s draw against Bishop’s Stortford with a last-minute strike to give the ten-men a draw.  

Iffy Allen – Lewes F.C

Just outside of the play-offs currently sit Lewes F.C. who’ve had some high scoring games lately, including a 5-0 win over Leatherhead F.C. where Iffy Allen scored his first of the season. He also scored the equaliser late on against Bishop’s Stortford as it finished 1-1. 

Matt Green – Linfield F.C.

In Northern Ireland, Linfield F.C. are unbeaten after 11 games despite sitting 3rd in the table. Matt Green scored yet again, this time a brace against Dungannon Swifts as David Healy’s side won 3-0. 

Rhys Healey – Toulouse F.C.

In Ligue 2, Rhys Healey scored 3 more goals as he tops the scoring charts in France’s second tier. He scored a brace in a 6-0 demolishment of second placed Auxerre before scoring the equaliser as Toulouse F.C. came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 against Paris F.C.

Axel Andresson – Riga F.C

After a spell on the side-lines due to injury, Icelandic defender Axel Andresson returned to the starting 11 for Riga F.C. against Metta/ LU, only to last 51 minutes before receiving a second yellow card as it finished 1-1. Riga failed to regain their league title and finish fourth, qualifying for the Europa Conference League First Qualifying Round.





INSTAGRAM – torquaytalk






Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.